I’ve been messing with the Record No 4 ever since I got it from eBay a year ago. Not constantly of course. It was a cheap lot of two No 4 and one 4 1/2, the other two are Stanleys and are more recent, with dreadful plastic handles. I think they’re all missing pieces… when I finally figured out what was missing, I cannibalised the Stanley and this one is now complete, I think ;P The blades were in dreadful condition and it’s taken me a long time to figure out sharpening and setting to the point that now I can have it take sort of even, thin shavings. Although I think I still need much more practice sharpening (to be expected).
First thing I did today is have a brief look at the sharpening plate holder I made yesterday (in desperation I spray painted it black before I went to bed) and toss it into the scrap pile. I didn’t feel like starting over right away so I’ve been banging my head against the try square instead. I’m making it out of oak floorboard cut offs, because that’s all I have. They are almost 2 cm thick but have nasty deep grooves on one side. I already resawed two pieces some time ago, which was a pain in the ass. The largest pain in the ass for every single thing I do right now is that I have no way of holding anything. I’m using clamps in admittedly not very inventive ways.
For the very thin blade part of the try square, I’ve gotten to sticking it to the table with double sided tape. I found it very difficult to plane it thin and even and square. I don’t have even close to so much trouble planing the workbench top. Is it because it’s thin? because it’s oak? jeez. I was getting frustrated as usual with this thing, and decided to stop and clean up and sharpen the skew rabbet plane I got some time ago in the flea market for 5€. Because.
I scraped it all well, sanded a bit, oiled the wood, and sharpened the blade. The wedge is some sort of mahogany or sapeli, the body is beech with a beautiful knot in it, do yourself a favour and click to embiggen the photo up here of the partly-oiled knot. It’s pretty.
This took me quite a bit of time and it was very rewarding, particularly because PRETTY, which is what I needed, instant gratification ;P
But then I took it to the thin blade of oak, and in fact I could sort of flatten it with this totally inappropriate tool (?? was it the skew blade?). It was by then already very thin (which it has to be since the stock is also quite thin) so some of the marks I made with the No4 I cannot remove without making it transparent. I already had a hard time unsticking it from the table without breaking it (sigh). Now there’s also screwdriver marks on the other side, yay! I hope I can steam those off. I had to use a cabinet scraper to smoothen it, I couldn’t get any other tool to not make more mess than anything on the surface. Is it because THE ENTIRE TABLE WHERE I’M WORKING WOBBLES?? who knows. I should just concentrate on the workbench and save myself some grief.
So I just moved on to cutting a fancy shape on the end of the blade. Because. My first time using a coping saw (I have a lot of experience using a jeweler’s saw though, and this is so thin I could have used just that).
Also sawed the slot for the blade on the stock, which I have no idea how I’m gonna clean up and even out, left it at that for now.
I think I also haven’t mentioned the last few thing’s I’ve gotten for the workshop. From fine-tools.de: Pegas coping saw + 18 TPI blades, a rip cut blade for a bow saw which I still plan to make (again out of floorboard cut offs), a protractor (which makes an appearance in the photo of the shaving up there) and a Veritas crosscut carcass backsaw. Pim also got me a Thor 31.712r chisel hammer with the ash handle in his latest order from amazon UK*. The Veritas saw (which is awesome, if the handle too big for my hands as usual) and the protractor (to check how off I am when sharpening) already have been very useful these last couple of weeks.
*he got two Nest smoke and CO detectors, and one is already installed in the workshop :)